While my family certainly enjoys eating out, Mom doesn’t always enjoy how much it costs. With a family of 5, eating out can take a big hit on our monthly budget. BUT, I’ve come up with some ways to save, that still allows us to enjoy those nights out as a family.
My Tips On How To Save While Eating Out:
1. Drink Water! This is our number one rule when eating out – everyone drinks water! Water is usually free, and drinks can easily add $10 – $15 to our total before we even order our food.
2. No Appetizers! Appetizers can also add $5 – $10 to your total. Your meal will arrive soon enough.
3. Kids Eat FREE! Oh, how I love the words, “Kids Eat FREE!” Some restaurants offer free or discounted kid’s meals on certain nights of the week. Find out what your favorite restaurant offers, and schedule your night out accordingly. (Does your restaurant offer free or discount kids’ meals? Scroll down and fill out the form to add it my list.)
4. Weekday Lunch VS Weekend Dinner! While this is not always a possible solution, lots of restaurants offer a special discounted weekday lunch menu.
5. $1 Menu! While, all the tips before now were mostly useful in a sit down restaurant, we also have rules for eating fast food. If we are on the go, and we have to grab a quick bite to eat, everyone orders off the $1 menu. You won’t find us driving away with any Happy or Kids Meals. Everyone gets the cheapest burger and we share a few large fries.
6. Coupons! Yes, there are restaurants that offer coupons or specials. You can usually find this information on the restaurant’s website. If they have an email club, be sure to sign up! You’ll probably get a heads up on any specials or coupons that are available. Some restaurants are even offering discounts when signing up for their texts.
7. Restaurant.com! If used correctly, this one can really be a money saver. When Restaurant.com runs specials like this: $4 for $25 Restaurant Gift Certificates from 6/26-6/29 with code FUN, you can get $25 to spend at a restaurant for the discounted price, BUT it’s important to know the terms of your gift certificate. Most $25 gift certificates require that you spend $35 or more to get the $25 discount. They usually always add the gratuity to the bill as well, so be aware of this as to not double tip. Sometimes drinks are included…sometimes they are not.
While we have been known to break our own rules on special occasions, these are typically the guidelines we follow to help us save money when eating out as a family! I hope they help you and your family enjoy those nights out without breaking the bank!
Do you have any other tips, not listed here? Leave me a comment!
HELP Build “Mommy’s Kids Eat FREE List”!!
Do you have a favorite restaurant that
offers FREE or Discounted Kid’s Meals?
Fill out the form below to add them to
Mommy’s List! I will, then compile these
into an easy reference post.